Day to Day



May, 2008


There is an odd phenomenon that seems universally experienced by folks, following LARGE LIFE EVENTS.



During my college years, as a women's basketball player, - we were expected to report to campus weeks before our classmates. We showed up for summer work-outs, and spent countless hours in the blazing sun, running and getting in shape for the season. Over Christmas break, while our fellow students had a month vacation, we had to stay on campus for two-a-day workouts and long road trips. However, once the season was over - and we had to blend in and become 'regular' students again - there was ALWAYS a 'blue-period' of mourning. There was a LET-DOWN. An emptiness settled in - once the spotlight of the season had dimmed.



The same LET-DOWN phenomenon takes over after one of my Triathlons. I spend months training and sacrificing for Race Day. Then, once the race is over (and, I've sufficiently showered) the 'blue period lasts for about a week.



May 17th- was our WEDDING DAY. The Southern Gentleman and I were surrounded by 52 of our closest family and friends in an intimate ceremony. Our reception was a fabulous luncheon that incorporated some unique elements reflecting our personalities.







By 5:30 pm we were married, well fed, and blissfully happy at the Hotel. We spent the next three days immersed in a stay-at-home honeymoon that included a nature hike, wine & cheese on a blanket near the lake, lounging around and an amazing sushi dinner.



On Thursday, we both returned to work. As I drove in that morning, I felt the 'blue-period' silently sneaking into my psyche. By Saturday (a.k.a. - our one week anniversary) I felt like I had WAY too much time on my hands. After FIVE MONTHS of non-stop work, wedding planning and detail monitoring - the Wedding went off without a single hitch.


However, in a weird twist of irony, I actually found myself missing the days of crazy anxiety and minutia management. What's THAT about?


I lamented to the Southern Gentleman - "we're just a boring married couple now. No one is treating us special or congratulating us anymore. I liked being treated like a princess and wearing my lovely bridal headband."


The Southern Gentleman smiled and said, "You can wear it around the house baby, you're my little princess."


In my Sister-in-Singlehood Days, a sappy comment like that would make me choke back a disgusted grunt - however....in the Post-Wedding-Day-LET-DOWN-Blues...I threw my arms around the neck of my MAN as he looked at me with those baby blue eyes and I THANKED HIM for marrying me.


We're getting used to Day-to-Day life as a married couple....with no one paying attention.











No comments: