And THEY have jobs?


March 2007


What's the old saying? - 'That which doesn't KILL us only makes us stronger'


Well, then I should be approaching Herculean status. Unfortunately, the bad luck that has plagued me for years followed me to Charlotte. Friends who have known me a long time are even shaking their heads that this stint of unemployment continues to drag on and on and on.


One fortunate thing - people have stopped giving me ADVICE! That definitely is a silver lining -Good gracious, I've heard more crazy employment suggestions from people who thought they were 'helping'.... to last me a lifetime.


As the middle of March approaches - I'm getting dangerously close to opening April without a full time job. If that's the case, April will kick-off the 11th month of unemployment.


Unemployment was a novelty in the first couple of months. It began on June 1st and I spent much of June and July lounging by the pool. I got a bit cocky that first month - because within one week of losing my job, I'd been contacted by a headhunter and during June and July I was dragged through endless interviews, psychological tests, writing samples and presentations by a Chicago based Hospital organization. And, it wasn't until after the 'meet the team' experience - that I was told they were going in "another direction."


FYI - shortly before I left Milwaukee to move to Charlotte, that headhunter called me and told me that the Chicago company never did fill that position.


I landed in Charlotte in mid December and I hit the ground running. By January 2nd, I'd had a fantastic informational interview with the local NBA team. I was certain they would beg me to join their struggling organization on the spot. But, alas - I'm still waiting for that phone call to come.


Two weeks later, I spent a couple of hours with management staff at the local NFL team. I feel so blessed that I can get inside those organizations considering they get THOUSANDS of resumes and requests. I'm proud that my previous work reputation is recognized...however I'm saddened that those high level contacts aren't translating into high level employment for me.


I've been in Charlotte three months and so far: I've been bitten by a dog (on a leash) while jogging in my neighborhood. Followed by two more dog-chasing situations, also while jogging. And, believe me - I'm not jogging with a side of beef strapped to my back. Should I stop jogging?
Or, should OWNERS PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR BEASTS????????????


I got to the final three candidates for a fund development job with the YMCA. I had to give a presentation to the 'team' that included a marketing action plan, financial spreadsheet and an event time line for a fund raising event that I created. (oh yea, did I mention the salary was a 30 thousand dollar pay cut from my previous employment?)


The hiring manager was very sweet as she told me that although the group LOVED me - they decided to promote an on-staff part-timer to the position. I thanked her for the opportunity - as I mentally prepared to see my event idea on their calendar this year.


I've had additional job interviews with two other non-profit organizations. Both meetings ended with the company representative promising to call by the end of the week. Ah, that was more than three weeks ago.


Question - why do they even give you a time-frame for the call back? I mean - there are a TON of other ways to say goodbye at the end of the interview. A strong handshake with a "thanks for stopping by" or "it was so nice meeting you Ellen" or "You'll hear from us if we CHOOSE YOU" would suffice.


There is an entire cottage industry of Career coaches and Life experts who dole out advice to the job seekers. I've decided I want to make a living educating the EMPLOYED hiring managers, executives and HR personnel. I want to tell them that it's more polite to say nothing than to give a time and a date of the call back. Seriously, it's just bad form.


Speaking of career coaches - I met a guy - who claimed to love my energy and enthusiasm. He gave me the contact info for his 'FRIEND' the 'Head Hunter'. I took the info and followed up with the so-called 'Head Hunter' the next day. Only to find out- he wasn't a 'Head Hunter' he was an 'Executive Search Expert' and he wanted to charge me $3,000 for the benefit of his 'job hunting expertise'.


Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME? I could barely stifle a laugh as I told him that I planned to "search on my own". If I had $3,000 to throw out the window, I certainly wouldn't be giving it to a guy for his job hunting expertise.


Of course, as I watch my bank account become more anorexic - I wonder if his services would've been worth the expense.


So, unemployment continues....and, I find myself wondering how I can be unemployed yet so many dim-witted hacks have jobs. C'mon - how do you explain Ryan Seacrest?


Obviously, American Idol isn't a great example of an entertainment masterpiece. But, give me a break - Ryan Seacrest has a job? For that matter, its even harder to swallow Randy ( Yo' man) Jackson and Paula (I'm out of my mind) Abdul collecting paychecks while I pray for a call back from a 20-something non-profit hiring manager.


I still believe there will be a light at the end of this never-ending tunnel. I still believe I'll land on my feet and actually collect a paycheck sometime this year. I still believe that in the near future.....some guy will get drunk enough, ask me out on a date and then remember to call me.


Hey, a girls gotta dream - right?

1 comment:

Twiggy said...

hope you'll get a call soon!! thanks for this entry of yours..i'll remember not to complain too much about my job :)