365 days



March 27, 2007


365 days ago - my life changed forever.

March 27, 2006 - The alarm clock went off at 3:45 am. I rolled out of bed after a restless night with little sleep. My parents had spent the night - and we moved around my condo quietly as we got ready to leave. We drove to the Hospital in silence. As we turned onto Townhall road and the Hospital loomed in front of us....I spoke for the first time. "I will never give you grandchildren." From the darkness of the back seat....my father responded in a matter-of-fact, yet soothing voice......without hesitation he said "But, we've got you Ellen...that's what matters."

My father may never know how valuable that simple reassurance was to me. It was the validation I needed on that frigid Wisconsin morning. At 5:00 am, I was secured to the operating table and within a few hours.....the surgery was complete...I had a hysterectomy.

March 28, 2006 - While still attached to an IV, spinal morphine and a catheter - I checked my work messages from the phone at my bedside. I was a work-a-holic Director of Marketing for a newly opened business in downtown Milwaukee. Prior to my surgery, my Doctor had given strict instructions that I was to take a six week medical leave of absence. However, old habits die hard. I returned the most pressing calls - then, fell back to sleep.

April 3 - April 21, 2006 - I conducted several conference calls, responded to e-mails, returned phone calls and stayed connected to the day-to-day operations.

Friday April 28, 2006 - My employer told me, "It's not necessary for you to return to work....we are eliminating your position."

For the next six months I hunted for a new job. I volunteered, networked, interviewed and maintained my role on the College of Communications Alumni board for Marquette University. I did freelance work, mentored college students and attended after-hours events for marketing professionals.

As a competitive Triathlete for 20 years, it was difficult having to take the season off. However, once I was given 'clearance' by the Doctor I began my cycling training. I did several long-distance rallies. 56, 85, 100 miles. Training for these events gave me a healthy diversion (and got me back in shape) as I tried to cope with job-less-ness

As the Holidays approached, I was still unemployed - and by then... I was not alone. Several of my marketing peers had lost their jobs too. We swapped job hunting horror stories as we marveled at all the incompetent people who were working. It became a SUPPORT GROUP FOR THE EMPLOYMENT CHALLENGED......

In November, I sold my condo and by mid December I was living in Charlotte. The job hunt continued.....the change of scenery filled me with a new sense of enthusiasm and optimism. Within five weeks of landing in Charlotte, I had various job interviews and was a published freelance writer. After networking with the local chapter of the American Marketing Association, I was nominated as the President Elect.

I'm grateful for my health, I'm grateful for the love and support of my friends and family.
However, a full time job still eludes me - and it's perplexing.

I'm completely aware that a GREATER power is at work in my life. I'm very aware of this journey.....But, I reserve the right to shake my head as I am forced to contend with mediocre professionals in the work force.

I've encountered un-inspired HR personnel with limited vision. Hell, I had one Hiring manager of a Fortune 100 company, blow me off twice. I have to bite my tongue as I observe lackluster performances of Executive Directors making six figure salaries. My eyes burn as I read hundreds of articles written by 'Life Coaches', 'Career Coaches' or whatever trendy name they assign themselves.

It's my opinion that those folks are unemployed people just like me, who have decided to make a career out of telling OTHER PEOPLE how to land a job. Think about it.

The advice and information given is as diverse and subjective as the writers themselves. One Executive SWEARS that hiring managers don't have time to read the resumes, so job seekers should spend all their time on the Cover letter. While another Executive SWEARS that the Cover letter is a joke and everyone should focus on the resume.

The Career Advice is more confusing than the job hunting process itself! Good gracious.

I'm a hard working professional. I have 16 years of work experience ranging from Broadcast Journalism to Business Development and Event Planning. I've never worked an eight hour day because I typically average 10-12 hours. I'm a published writer, a professional communicator and business solution strategist. I network, connect the dots and do the research. I have advanced up the corporate ladder in two different industries.

C'mon!

Happy Anniversary!

No comments: