She WORKS again!



August 23, 2007



After more than 14 months of unemployment and under-employment - I've finally been offered a JOB!!!

What an amazing, exhausting and wild journey this has been.


This BLOG has served as an outlet for my frustrations as I navigated through the job hunting process. Nasty hiring managers, unprofessional recruiters and crazy interviews were some of the high points.


I remember the day, I was told my job was being 'eliminated' like it was yesterday. In actuality - it was April 28th, 2006.


I had major female surgery the month before on March 27th. The Doctor told me, I needed six weeks to recover. My employer was less than thrilled - and made that very clear. So, less than 24 hours after surgery, with a catheter and a pelvic morphine needle still inserted in my tender body - I made a work-related phone call from my hospital bed.


I was dedicated.


Once released, I continued working from my bed at home. I conducted conference calls and stayed connected to the business operations. In addition, I told my employer that I planned to return in the fifth week of my medical leave.


On Wednesday April 26th - At 10:30 am - I had a conference call with my boss and office assistant. I updated them on all the details I'd been coordinating. At 1:00 pm that same day - I spoke to a Public Relations class at Marquette University and shared details with the students about my role with my company. I encouraged them to stay focused and persevere through the crazy world of PR.


Little did I know, what fate had in store for me.


Later that day, I got another call from my boss. He insisted I meet him on Friday at 2:00pm. I reminded him that I would be in the office on Monday - however, he persisted....saying that it was "imperative" we talk before then.


We met a local bar/restaurant - and within 15 minutes of sitting down he said, "Ellen, it's not necessary for you to return to work. We are eliminating your position."


I was eliminated in a crowded bar on a Friday afternoon in the fourth week of my six week medical leave of absence. Classy.

They stopped paying me on June 1st.

In the last 14 months - I've served on various committees and professional group boards. I have volunteered my time and done pro-bono work. Ironically - I couldn't land a FULL time PAYING job however, EVERYONE wanted a piece of me, when it came to non-paying opportunities. Imagine that.

I have interviewing horror stories that would fill volumes of books. And sadly, I've met many many many other under-employed professionals along the way. I became the un-official Spokesperson of the 'EMPLOYMENT CHALLENGED'.

Last week I had an executive recruiter tell me that she thought one of the reasons I hadn't found work was because my portfolio was in a green binder instead of Blue or Black.

"Really?" I wondered aloud. Crazy me - and I was convinced that the material INSIDE the portfolio was the imperative information. What did I know?

This week, I had THREE job interviews on Tuesday. My alarm went off at 5:30 am and I set out to drive the 44 miles to the first potential opportunity.

Job opportunity #1 - I had made it to the final three candidates. This interview extravaganza lasted FOUR and a HALF hours. Good gracious, I wasn't applying for the CEO position! However, the people were great and I felt confident I could fit in with their culture.

I arrived home after the marathon (AKA - first interview) and had 45 minutes to re-group before I had to shift gears for the next interview.

Job opportunity #2 - I drove to the Retirement Community campus a mere five miles from my apartment. My potential boss gave me a hearty greeting with an even heartier handshake. She admitted she had mis-placed my resume and when I offered her my 'flash' drive so that we could re-print another copy, she said it wasn't necessary. She immediately kicked off her shoes as she sat cross-legged in her over-sized office chair. I LOVED her instantly.

Job opportunity #3 - isn't even important.

Because thankfully, #2 is my new professional HOME.

I am proud and excited to be back in the Senior living industry. I am even more thrilled that I will be back where I belong - working with clients with Alzheimer's & Dementia.

The last 14 months have been a struggle. However, probably the greatest learning experience of my life.

I've also added a special Southern Gentleman to my world. I'm quite convinced someone much 'higher' than me, had a distinct plan in mind when he brought us together.

Stay tuned for further details from the wonderful world of my EMPLOYMENT!

Something tells me - the best is yet to come!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Ellen! I'm so happy for you. It sounds like a the perfect place for you. We'll have to have drink together by phone!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen!! Fabulous news - can't wait to catch up on further details this weekend! Brava, my dear!! All our singing seniors and mature musicians will be so proud of you and happy for you! S.