E-mails to my sister (from New York)



January, 2000

Hey Janet -

Thanks for the B-day cards! They brightened up my day!

The day got off to a lousy start. My car got stuck in the snow as I was heading to my doctor appointment. So, I was late getting there and although the procedure wasn't really painful, it was just really uncomfortable. Yea, having a 'probe' injected into my private girly area, is not my idea of a great way to begin your birthday!

Then, when I got back home, I accidentally locked my keys in my car and couldn't get into my apartment. Called the police and while I waited in the freezing cold for them to arrive, I helped the lady across the street get her car un-stuck from the snow. Pushed her out.....and the police finally arrived. They 'jimmied' some metal thing between the window and the frame - and whaddya know - door opened. God bless New Yorks finest!

Got my hair cut, went to a movie, stopped at a local joint for a drink and was home before midnight. Happy FREAKING b-day to me! No one even wished me a Happy Birthday today.

Oh wait - I take that back, the nurse did right before she jammed the long, cold, ugly instrument up inside of me. Nice.

So, believe me when I tell you - your cards were the highpoint of my day!

Hugs: Ellen

February, 2000

Hey Janet -

Had a rough meeting with the Doctors on Thursday. The news isn't as great as we had originally thought. Turns out, I have a fibroid tumor in my uterus the size of a small orange. Apparently, that's not good. :) They've suggested I take the medical approach to trying to shrink this thing. If it shrinks, then...supposedly it's not cancer.

To do that, I would get a shot once a month of a drug call Lupron. The downside of the drug is that it will make me go into a state of peri-menopause. You know, hot flashes, sleeplessness or whatever else goes along with menopause. Oh yea, and possible infertility. (the good news just keeps on coming)

Was great having Mom here. She spoke to the Doctors too, she can fill you in with more details. I've spoken with Mom and Dad about all this, looks like I'll be going on the drug. I couldn't carry a child right now anyway, the Doctor told me there wouldn't be enough room for the baby to grow because the tumor is taking up too much room.

bought a 1/2 gallon of ice cream - ate nearly the whole thing in one sitting - somehow that actually made me feel better.

Hugs: Ellen

December, 2000

Hey Janet -

Don't know if Mom told you, my show is being cancelled!! Good lord that sucks. But, unfortunately, that's the nature of the business. I was supposed to meet with the Program Director tonight to discuss my future, now he's pushed back the meeting until tomorrow night at 6pm. The anxiety of having to wait is a bitch!

Never a dull moment in my life.

Hugs: Ellen

December, 2000

Hey Janet -

I'll be fine. Regarding work - I can always move back to Charlotte. Worse case scenario I move back there and work for the Hornets. Best case - they just re-position me at my current station, and I get into the second year of my contract.

Hey, not so long ago, I was being diagnosed with a tumor. I survived that. I'll get through this.

You have to look at life a little more like that too. Don't sweat the small stuff! It will all work out fine.

Hugs: Ellen

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 22, 2000

Hey Janet -

So I get into work tonight only to find out that the owner of the company has decided that, in lieu of giving us all a Christmas bonus, he's giving the entire company off next week.

Translation - TONIGHT WAS OUR LAST SHOW!!!! So, after midnight tonight, my show will be a distant memory. Bitter sweet, I guess.

Glad to be getting an unexpected paid week off (next week) However, next week was to be our last week on the air. So, this feels like a weird way to go out. I'm trying to remember.....why did I go into this business?????????????????????????????

Hugs: Ellen

May, 2001

Hey Janet -

Oh my gosh!!! Had such an AMAZING day!! The Jets held a media-day mini camp at their work-out facility. We had classroom lessons most of the day, then in the afternoon they took us out on the field and put us through drills!

It was soooooooooooooooooooooo great! I got to catch punts, do some blocking and run some pass routes as a receiver. I even learned to drop- step like a QB!

Girl, you would've loved it too! It was soooooooo freaking funny to see some of the fat, out-of-shape reporters, who sit on their asses and write about the Pros, trying to do the drills! Many of them didn't even finish the mini camp, they went to the sidelines after two drills. But, I hung in to the end.........hell, I barely broke a sweat! :) It was soooooooo much fun.

The people from NFL films interviewed me. I said some fun and crazy things, then had to sign a waiver, so they could use me. Hey, who knows...maybe that will pop up on a feature at some point!

Was a GOOD DAY!

Oh yea, still unemployed.

Hugs: Ellen

No comments: